As of March 23rd 2020, all AWS certification exams can now be taken online from the comfort of your home or office. Amazon announced the measures in response to the closures of many eligible test centers across the globe in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
Previously, candidates could only take the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (CLF-C01) from the comfort of their own home, however, this recent declaration has opened up all AWS certifications to the same methodology.
Online Proctoring Exams: How Do They Work?
Online proctoring exams are not new. As mentioned, Amazon had already trialed the service with its foundational certification. On the back of that successful roll-out, it has been extended (at least temporarily) to the rest of the AWS certifications as a response to widespread test center closures.
Candidates need the following in order to be able to take the online proctored exam:
- A modern computer with functional webcam, microphone, and speakers (or headphones)
- A quiet, private location with no one else in the room
- A good and stable internet connection
As this exam is proctored, it means an invigilator will be present on the other side of the camera making sure that you do not cheat. You may be asked to maneuver the webcam to show the proctor your working space. Therefore, a laptop may be a better option than a desktop computer with a built-in webcam.
The exam is delivered through OnVue which is a software developed by testing company Pearson VUE. You can arrange the test by logging into your AWS certification account, and clicking on “Access Certification”. You will then need to proceed through the following steps:
- Click on “Go to your account” which will redirect you to certmetrics.com
- When you arrive at this page, select “Schedule New Exam.”
- Select which AWS Certification exam you’d like to take and then make sure you select “Schedule with Pearson VUE” (not “Schedule with PSI”).
- You’re then presented with the option to take your exam “At a local test center” or “At a home or office”. Choose the latter option and book an appointment time.
- You then need to run some checks to make sure everything works properly by downloading the OnVue software and have a picture of your Photo ID ready. It’s best to do this before the date of the exam so you’re certain that you’re ready to go.
What Else did Amazon Confirm in Their Statement on AWS Certifications?
Amazon also stated the following with regards to AWS certifications during the coronavirus crisis:
- Due to expected high demand, the wait time for online-proctored appointments may be longer than usual.
- They are going to automatically extend certification expiration dates in cases where you may need additional time to recertify.
- They are extending retirement dates for AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate (SAA-C01) and AWS Certified Big Data – Specialty (BDS-C00).
- They are automatically extending voucher expiration dates in cases where you may need additional time to use them.
For any exam-scheduling or cancellation-related queries, AWS advise that you speak directly to the testing center where you were due to take your exam.
Why Is Now a Good Time to Get Certified?
With the expected hit the economy is going to take from the fallout of the COVID-19 outbreak, there may be fluctuating employment right across the IT sector. With the advent of online proctoring exams across the entire pool of AWS certifications, there’s never been a better opportunity to take IT certification exams from home.
With nearly half of the world’s population restricted to indoor living, this represents a great opportunity to finally work on those IT certifications you’ve been putting off. By doing so, you can ensure that your skills remain relevant and attractive when the job market recovers towards the end of 2020. You may even be able to use this opportunity to improve your salary by securing a promotion or a new position.
With that in mind, why not prepare for your AWS certification exams with the expert tuition provided by IaaS Academy?
Prepare in the Best Way Possible for Your Next AWS Certification
IaaS Academy can help you to achieve your goal of becoming AWS-certified by providing you with our best-in-class AWS-courses and practice exams. We have live instructor-led courses and provide access to hundreds of practice questions with an exclusive exam simulator, so you can judge your performance under exam conditions. We also ensure that class sizes are limited to a maximum of 20 participants to make sure every candidate gets the help they require.
If you sign up for one of our live intensive courses within the month of March, you can get up to 50% off the course price.
So hurry before the offer expires!