S3 Transfer Acceleration
This article discusses AWS S3 Transfer Acceleration Exam Tips. A fairly new service and likely to show up in the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate Exam, Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration is a web service which provides fast, easy, and secure transfers of files over long distances between AWS customers and their S3 bucket(s). Transfer Acceleration takes advantage of Amazon CloudFront’s globally distributed edge locations. As the data arrives at an edge location, data is routed to Amazon S3 over an optimised network path.
AWS S3 Transfer Acceleration enables customers to:
- Upload to a centralised bucket from all over the world.
- Transfer gigabytes to terabytes of data on a regular basis across continents.
When you use AWS S3 Transfer Acceleration, you enable the service for buckets individually as shown in the screenshot below:
After enabling the feature, as shown above, you will be provided with a unique URL for the bucket. This will be your new endpoint that you will provide to your users to connect to when uploading data to the bucket. The following is the format for your transfer accelerated buckets
- bucketname.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com – to access an acceleration-enabled bucket.
- bucketname.s3-accelerate.dualstack.amazonaws.com – to access an acceleration-enabled bucket over IPv6. Amazon S3 dual-stack endpoints support requests to S3 buckets over IPv6 and IPv4
- Note that dual-stack accelerated endpoint is only available from the AWS Java SD
- Note that After Transfer Acceleration is enabled, it can take up to 30 minutes for you to realise the performance benefit. However, the accelerated endpoint will be available as soon as you enable Transfer Acceleration.
Finally, although by using AWS S3 Transfer Acceleration, you will incur additional charges, the increase in fees only happens where Transfer Acceleration can potentially improve upload performance.
Key Exam Summary
- The name of the bucket used for Transfer Acceleration must be DNS-compliant and must not contain periods (“.”).
- Transfer Acceleration must be enabled on the bucket. After enabling Transfer Acceleration on a bucket it might take up 30 mins before the data transfer speed to the bucket increases.
- To access the bucket that is enabled for Transfer Acceleration, you must use the use the endpoint bucketname.s3-accelerate.amazonaws.com. or the dual-stack endpoint bucketname.s3-accelerate.dualstack.amazonaws.com to connect to the enabled bucket over IPv6.
- You must be the bucket owner to set the transfer acceleration state. The bucket owner can assign permissions to other users to allow them to set the acceleration state on a bucket.
- Transfer Acceleration is now Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant.
180 Practice Exam Questions – Get Prepared for your Exam Day!
Our Exam Simulator with 180 practice exam questions comes with comprehensive explanations that will help you prepare for one of the most sought-after IT Certifications of the year. Register Today and start preparing for your AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate Exam