- Amazon S3 is object-based storage only. You cannot use S3 to mount an Operating System or install a Database.
- You can store data from 0 bytes to 5TB
- Bucket names can contain up to 63 characters comprising of lowercase letters, numbers, hyphens, and periods.
- You can create multiple buckets but you cannot nest buckets
- Data is stored in Buckets, which are essentially directories
- Each Bucket needs to have a unique name across the AWS platform irrespective of region
- Bucket names must be in lowercase
- S3 offers unlimited storage theoretically
- S3 is a simple key value store
- Key – this is the name of the object
- Value – This is actual Data
- Version ID – Versioning enables you to restore previous copies of a data
- Metadata – Data about data such as when you uploaded it etc
- Access Control Lists
Amazon guarantees 99.99% availability and 99.99999999999% durability for the S3. AWS S3 is built for failure in that you can still access your data even if up to two facilities are not available. This is because data is replicated across the platform for redundancy and high availability.
S3 offers storage solutions based whereby uploading new objects is immediately available to you. However, changes to existing objects or deletions are not immediately visible as it can take some time to propagate. It offers:
- Read after Write Consistency for PUTS of new Objects’
- Eventual Consistency for overwrite PUTS and DELETES (Can take some time to propagate)
S3 offers three classes of storage:
- S3 (Standard) – S3 – 99.99% availability and 99.999999999 durability
- S3 IA (Infrequently Access) – Data that is accessed less frequently but requires rapid access when needed. Lower fee than S3 but there is a charge for retrieval of data.
- S3 One-Zone IA – Data is stored in a single AZ. Because of this, storing data in S3 One Zone-IA costs 20% less than storing it in S3 Standard-IA. S3 One Zone-IA is ideal for customers who want a lower cost option for infrequently accessed data but do not require the availability and resilience of S3 Standard or S3 Standard-IA storage.
- Reduced Redundancy Storage – Designed to provide 99.99% durability and 99.99% availability of objects over a given year. This is for data that you can afford to lose
- Amazon Glacier -Secure, durable, and extremely low-cost storage service for data archiving. You can reliably store any amount of data at costs that are competitive with or cheaper than on-premises solutions.
Additional Exam Tips:
- Amazon Simple Storage Service – S3 Exam Tips Part 2
- Amazon Simple Storage Service – S3 Exam Tips Part 3
- Amazon Simple Storage Service – S3 Exam Tips Part 4
740 Practice Exam Questions – Get Prepared for your Exam Day!
Our Exam Simulator with 740 practice exam questions comes with comprehensive explanations that will help you prepare for one of the most sought-after IT Certifications of the year. Register Today and start preparing for your AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate Exam